About Me

My photo
Miami Beach, FL, United States
Scott Diffenderfer is a Licensed Real Estate Broker Associate at Compass with 11 years of real estate and over 25 years of marketing, fundraising, sales and management experience. Scott has worked with buyers from around the world to find their dream homes. If you’re not sure which neighborhood is right for you or whether you want a house or a condo, Scott is the agent who can help you figure out what’s best for your needs.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Excercising with an Electric Bike

So yesterday I decided to take the A2B on the same route that I take my regular bike on for excercise a couple mornings per week.  From Belle Isle I headed east on the Venetian, south on West Avenue, west over the McArthur Causeway, north to the Venetian Causeway and east back to Belle Isle. 

This is about an 8 mile route which I can complete in about 30-40 minutes of hard pedaling on my regular bike.  There are a couple of long and steep bridges to pedal up and of course it's always windy over the water. 

I was interested to see how long it would take me if I used the motor full-throttle AND pedaled the whole way.  I also wanted to see if I actually got any excercise doing it.  What I found was that, despite it being very windy yesterday, I FLEW the 8 miles in just about 20 minutes.  And, because I was able to keep a steady speed - even going up those steep bridges - I was able to keep pedaling steadily the entire route. 

I got a great leg and butt workout and covered the distance in about half the time - and it was super windy.  Also, it was a lot more interesting going 20+ miles per hour, especially up those hills.  It's a real trip watching other bikers' expression as I fly by them effortlessly.  It also made me realize that commuting to downtown Miami from the Beach is possible on an electric bike in a sweatless 10 minutes!  And despite this ride at the beginning of the day, I had ample battery power left when I got home last night.

I can't wait to have some more longer distance rides to put the battery power and my endurance to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment